25.6.12

My Body Rests in Hope

Hope is the soul's manna, the mystery sweeter than honey that sustains us through our day to day lives.

I love wandering around Ridley. It cleanses the muck from my lungs and from my neural pathways, or so it seems after a good hour of solitary rambling. On this side of a long walk, I enjoy the opportunity to nurse my blisters and enjoy the enervating sensation of well-earned exhaustion. Then too, there's the time to get lost in peaceful thoughts, unhurried by any cacophonous cares of the world that bother and distract.

I did a lot of daydreaming during my rambling. It's a lost art - daydreaming. We know how to fantasize for a few seconds of salivation over something that appeals to our senses, but it's much harder to get lost in a daydream. It takes more creativity, and oh, it's good for the heart.

We need something to get us through the grinding moments of every day. I think few people would not wish to live well, but it is so easy to lose sight of the tiny building blocks that fit together to form a life well-lived. If we do not have a firm grasp of what we hope for, we will not have the strength to hold fast in the muck and mire of life's grit. And if we hope for nothing... "The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, but a broken spirit who can bear?"

No comments:

Post a Comment