24.9.09

Reptiles and Revelations

Georgia is not Pennsylvania. That being said, there are some things about Georgia that make it worth my while to be here. Er, let us briefly forget that I am attending an amazing program that has thus far introduced me to the likes of J.P. Moreland and forces me to read books like god is not Great by Christopher Hitchens. Tonight as I was walking to the laundry room I saw something leap across my path. At first I was startled, but then I recalled seeing a toad or two before and wanted to observe this one. I like little creatures. So I crouched down and stayed still, trying to acclimate him a little bit to my presence. He hopped a few times, eyed me, hopped some more. He was a cheeky little creature with a pale underbelly and big black marble eyes. What an odd gentleman! I understand why we attempt to personify the likes of him because I know he was giving me an intelligent, assessing look. Seriously. Anyway, you're probably like "why the heck are you describing this, Christy?" Truthfully? No reason whatsoever. But then I saw this bug crawling toward him, and just as I was delightedly predicting its doom, his little tongue shot out like a lightning bolt and black beetle bug was no more. HA! It was the coolest thing I've seen this week. Maybe more than that. After that, Charles and Grace walked close by talking loudly and startled him into running away, but I felt better about the universe, having sort of communed with nature or something like that.

This has been a week of weariness. I have always assumed myself to hold a significant amount of self-discipline, but that view is swiftly slipping away. It's easy to not go to bed at the right time when bed is right next to you and you can sleep tomorrow night. It's easy to forget about reading that book or writing this assignment when you're told that community is a key element of living here. Spending time with other people, that just comes with the territory, right? Prioritization... Well, I know that tomorrow night I have to write a paper since I didn't write any of it tonight. So that means, what, Friday morning to finish Hitchens?

Last night I finished reading Passion & Purity by Elisabeth Elliot. I shall have to buy it, since the copy I read was from the Commons Room library. Which means, yes, I heartily approved. Her words challenged and convicted me in so many ways. Waiting, prayer, dedication, surrender, self-denial, chastity that transcends the mere physical, hope, longing, love, singleness... It was a good book. Too bad I have so many books that I want to read for my own ends. The Four Loves, Milkweed, Music For Chameleons, Ethan Frome, Small Gods, Crime & Punishment, Orthodoxy... It's a wonder that I've read even 60 pages of god is not Great. But that is as it shall be.

I miss home a bit. The sky. My sisters. The familiarity. The aquarium life of working at Prince Street Cafe. But this is a good place, and I belong here, where I am. It's a beautiful place with some incredible people. We live together, learn together, grow together, will eventually fight and make up. Living poetry as we walk out the calling God has placed in our lives. That is the community I am a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment