14.2.16

[Interlude: Finger Fatigue.]

I knew when I set out to publish something every day for a month on this blog that there would be days when I wouldn't want to do it. I'm used to writing whenever the mood takes me--which is probably better, because it means that I'm writing about things that interest me, rather than writing for the sake of writing. Probably for those few of you who get these blog posts delivered to your inbox, you wish I'd stop spamming your email with meandering rambles through my brain, my methods, and whatever current or historical events and ideas catch my fancy.

Anyway, today is a dregs day. I spent most of my free time searching for jobs and throwing together cover letters. I didn't really think about many things, because I'm trying to conserve my brain energy. I did read several interesting articles, including a SCOTUSblog piece on what Scalia's death means for cases on the docket that are still awaiting decisions and another, older article on Jacobin's website comparing the Democratic establishment's response to Bernie Sanders in contrast with, for example, Obama in 2008. And I started on Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman. I'm not very far into it, but those few pages have already hooked me. There is something incredible about just really well-written fiction, and I forgot how good Lee's authorial voice is. I can't wait to see how she handles the subject of integration and Civil Rights-era South, not least because small-town Scout is now educated urban outsider Jean Louise. It's probably too early to recommend, but I'm poised for a thumbs up.

Since I can't really supply anything more valuable than a list and a little commentary on my daily reading, I think I'm going to leave it at that. Out of curiosity, would anyone find it interesting if I were to include a list of what I've read or listened to on a given day at the end of each post? You don't have to comment here, just text/email me or don't. I might just do it anyway, since I only keep track of the books that I've finished, and that is an extremely small part of what I consume at any given time. Then again, I don't know if I'm ready for to expose myself in an unabridged list... Hmm...

On a more humorous parting note:

No comments:

Post a Comment